Not Like It Used To Be

‘come on spud, join the party!’

3 year old spud ran out of his room with his mates to join his mum for his b’day surprise.
‘now I want everyone to close there eyes. And NO peaking.’

Everyone closed their eyes and when spud opened his eyes, his mums origami animals had come to life.

Baby cheetahs raced across the carpet floor, elephants spraying out water from the tap and dogs cuddling up to you.

Spud and his friends couldn’t believe what they saw and they loved it.

All you could see was everyone having a good time playing with the origami laughing.
‘ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!’

20 years later


Spud woke up from his dirty old bed in his dreadful apartment with a terrible headache.

He got up, had some Panadol then sat down on the couch to watch TV.
‘now it’s time for entertainment and the great origami master is back. Samantha Greenwood is coming to town next-‘

Spud turned off the tv and typed up his mother’s name to find out where Samantha his mum was living and if she wanted to even see him again.

He and his mother hadn’t spoken for over 20 years since his dad took him away.

20 years ago

Simon, spuds dad walked in when the party had finished and had seen roaming origami animals all over the place.

Samantha was out the back cleaning the mess from the party while spud was in side playing with his new toys.

Simon went into spuds room grabbed a suitcase and filled it up with spuds fav things.

When Simon came out he told spud that they were going on a little vacation.
‘tell mummy?’
‘no! just us. She knows. Now can your please put your suitcase in the car for daddy?’

Spud did what his father said, not knowing that he wouldn’t see his mother for a very long time.

When spud had finished he came back inside to see his parents arguing and yelling at each other.
‘Mummy? Daddy?’
‘ get back in the car son!’
‘come here spud.’
‘no get back into the car son. Now!’

As the parents kept fighting, Simon got so angry that he slapped Samantha’s face.
‘MUM!’

Spud ran up to his mum who was lying there unconscious.

Spud pushed with all his might to get passed his dad to his mum but failed.

As he was dragged along, he picked up his origami monkey that he loved and left his mum in pain.
Present day

As spud drove to the last house record his mum lived in he was holding his origami monkey hoping he will swing around the house again and to see his mum.

As spud pulled into the driveway, got out, walked to the door, he saw no one was home but as he turned around he saw his mum dropping her food and before he could say hi, Samantha gave him a big hug.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!