War-Torn

Tilting my head back against the wheelchair, the sun’s setting glow was like watercolour against a blue canvas giving off a warm pinkish-orange colour signifying yet another ending day. The black shadows of three bird’s outline flew across the evening sky, most likely returning back to the comforts of their home. Water surfaced as a single drop rolled down my cheek. The birds were free to fly, to soar, to wander and to explore the world. That was freedom, while I can’t walk nether less stand. A gentle wind tugged at my red hair. Taking in a deep breath I wheeled myself out of the garden and into my little wooden house. Looking out the window at the makeshift tents I continued to ponder, if I were a bird life would be carefree, and I would be free, free to fly far away from this place, where war was a raging fire. There came a knock on the door, adjusting the wheelchair and dabbing the tears away with a tissue I said, “Come in.”
A child gently pushed the door open, shyly she stepped forward. “Thank you for everything, thank you for saving my family and I, thank you for letting us have a home on your land.” She whispered taking another step forward handing me a basket, then embraced me in a warm hug. “Thank you for the freedom you gave us.”
She shut the door behind her as she trotted down the wooden steps and into the dark night with the moon’s guiding beam to guide her way back to her family. Freedom? In this war-torn country how could she find freedom? We were caged in this country, but the girl found happiness and more importantly, freedom with what she had. She could be free here, free to be herself. Sometimes I find it surprising what little acts of kindness could do in someone’s lives. The world we know it now may change the very next day, but by appreciating what we have we can live every day to our last.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!