I cant believe it happened to me

‘Here goes’ I said as I thought about my LAST riding lesson.

I dodged the riders leading there horses and saw my friend Sarah Gritt. We’ve been friends since …well a long time and now I am fourteen and we ride big, strong horses. My name is Flin Islander, my horse Totone is a strong bay that loves exercise. ‘Hey Sarah, do you want to tack up the horses and go for a trail ride?’ ‘Sure’ she said.

Just before we left we noticed the riding clubs notice board.

‘Look a race!’ Sarah said. We chose the Old West Route. We packed sandwiches and carrots for the horses, and rope in case anything went wrong.

It was a peaceful spot and no other riders were out so we sat down and ate our lunch.

After lunch we started to relax. Suddenly, just like lightning a black strong stallion dashed passed! ‘Quick! Sarah the rope!’ we mounted our horses and dashed after him. I caught up and captured him cowboy style. I tied the rope to Totone’s saddle and he began to pull. We took the stallion back to our stables.

‘Wow! I can’t believe the manager let you stay for training!’ It was another week of training the Stallion. We named the stallion ‘Buck’ because he would always fight, buck and kick now he had cooled down and he let us touch him.

When every one had left I went to see how Buck was doing. He had started to build up heaps of muscle and looked healthier. I thought about riding bare back, but decided it would not be right. I’ve never ridden him but foolishly I got onto his back, opened the stable door and rode out. We trotted along, then suddenly the outback trail turned into a big race track!

We galloped, everyone cheered the reporters pranced around us. We had won the race! I thought I was dreaming so I pinched myself.

Dawn … I woke early lying on the grass. Buck was grazing near by. I looked at my watch ‘11:00! That’s race time’ I thought. ‘Come on Buck!’

We thundered back to the Stables and got a saddle and supplies.

We made it to the race track, Buck hated camera flashes, the cheering and the starting gun. It was no use complaining because the race was about to begin. He was so afraid, he ran so fast he won the race. I smiled as I patted his sweaty body.

The managers of my racing club were so impressed that they gave Buck to me and let me stay at the stables for no charge! Now every single day we go riding together.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!