Captain Shaw

Finalist in the 'Inspired 2019' competition

The winter wind whips my face as I look at my rain-soaked watch. 5:30pm exactly. I’m never going to make it to the train in this weather. A big gust of wind hits my umbrella and blows it away into the dark, rainy streets. The rain turns to sleet and it gets even colder.
I see an antique shop across the street. In the window is a lit up orange sign that says “Come in! We’re open.” I immediately decide to go in for shelter. Wishing I was on a cruise ship, so warm and snug, I find myself thinking about the sea as I push through the door. The sea in my mind is a deep liberty blue or “azure” I say out loud.
“At the back on the left on the rack”. I turn to face the cashier who has looked up from his book. He has capturing dark green-blue eyes. I find myself in an accidental staring contest with the man with viridian eyes so I squeeze my eyes in a deliberate blink. “What did you say?” I ask. “What you are looking for is at the back of the shop on the left” he says authoritatively as he looks back down at his book. The back of the shop looks dark and dusty. I turn and march off assuming he means umbrellas. I guess I do need one.
At the back of the shop I turn and see a tall wooden hat rack filled with all different types of hats. A feathered pink wedding hat, a black and orange pirate hat, a gold marching band hat, top hats, fedoras, berets, caps, costumes, hats of every kind. I’m about to turn away when suddenly, I see it. A bright vermilion peaked cap with a black brim, anchor on the front and gold cord over the front like miniature aiguillettes. I can’t help but take it off the rack. It looks waterproof. That could be handy. I turn it over in my hands and I see a worn material name tag with bold black stitching which says James S. Shaw. I feel confused, that's MY name!
A strange voice comes over to me, “buy the hat” it says. I turn around expecting to see the cashier, but I don’t. I start to shiver. I definitely don’t want to be here anymore, but I do want the hat. I walk to the front, buy the hat and walk to the exit. As I reach for the door, without warning, in a loud voice I hear “Captain Shaw!!” I turn slowly with my eyes first. The cashier is holding a five dollar note. “You forgot your change.” “Keep it,” I say as I quickly open the door, step out into the cold rain and put on my new hat, confident it will get me through many stormy nights to come.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!