I can't believe it happened to me

This story is about four children. Their names are George, Jane, David and Mary. They were best friends. John was their enemy. David the fastest of the four was a racer. He was the fastest out of his class. His problem was that he got really nervous and always lost when he was being watched. That is how this story begins.

One day in the middle of winter a group of children were huddled under a tree to protect themselves from the rain. Their names were David, George, Mary and Jane. They were looking at a man that was walking towards them. The man stared at them then asked “ How do you do? I am Roger Bannister. Are any of you children in the big race”. David raised his hand. “ Well” began Roger “ We had better get going then. The coach will be waiting.”
After what seemed like hours David saw the racetrack and his friends waiting for him. David got changed into his race clothes and got into position. When the coach said go everyone ran. First came John and last came David. Roger was puzzled. The rest of the lesson went by and David kept losing. After the lesson Roger asked David why he kept losing. “I am always nervous when people watch me ” Said David. “ I hope you will join me tomorrow and I may be able to help you” Said Roger gleefully. David was stunned. Then said “would you really help me?” Roger grinned and said that he would meet him tomorrow after school.

The next day at school went really quickly. When David was ready he went to meet Roger. Roger was waiting for him. David quickly ran a length of the track then went to Roger. Roger told David to put all noises out of his mind so David tried it.

David went to bed that night extremely happy about his lesson. In one week his coach would pick one person from his team to go in the big race. He knew it would be him. His next lesson was in two days. He was so excited. David could not sleep.
Finally the day came. David went to the track and got ready to race. He remembered his lesson with Roger and put all sounds out of his mind. Then he won the race!
All the rest of the lesson went fine and David kept coming first every race. Then the coach announced the person in the race. “ The winner is … David!” David beamed and looked around as everyone cheered except for John.

David was on the big racetrack. He was ready. He put all noises out of his mind. The gun fired. David ran as fast as he could and finally HE WON!!!
Jane, Mary and George congratulated him. He got the trophy thanked everyone then went home smiling.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!