Swimming With Fins

Excellence Award in the 'Inspired 2019' competition

I stood there, watching the surf. A seagull crowed and pecked at the turf.
I waddled out, away from shore and jumped on my boogie board.
The water felt cool on my hot skin, the ocean enticing me to jump in.
I saw a big wave come towards me. When I rode waves I felt free.
I almost fell off but stood my ground, then I saw a fin circling around.
I didn’t know whether to swim to shore, I wanted to stay there no more.
Then with a splash, it rose, and out of the water came a nose.
First a snout, then a head. Its skin was the colour of lead.
I realised it wasn’t a shark, but its eyes had a mischievous spark.
It leapt out of the sea and I knew for sure, it wanted to play with me more.
I played with it for the rest of the day, then I had to head back to the bay.
I said goodbye to my new friend, more time with me it wanted to spend.
I went home with a heavy heart, thinking that they are killed for art.
From then on I promised I would save them as much as I could.
Swimming with my dolphin friend,
Swimming with Fins.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!