Unlocking Happiness

Finalist in the 'Inspired 2019' competition

“Last one, girls” the removalist puffed as he dramatically placed the last box.
May and June had been sitting in the hallway watching their lives transform and rebuild into their new house. They felt trapped. The twins didn’t want to move because their old house was exactly the same age as them; their family moved into that house the same day they were born.
May loved sitting and playing by the fireplace at their old house, especially toasting marshmallows. She loved the way that it kept her warm while the fire crackled. Watching it rise and fall as her mother April, scurried to keep the fire strong. June on other hand loved baking cookies with her dad Augustus, playing with the sticky dough and massaging it into shape. Watching it rise and usually fall.
Now there was going to be a new school. New friends. New bedrooms. New neighbourhood. New bus stop.
April waved goodbye to the removalists giving them money and three home-made cookies.
“That’s the last ones,” May and June whispered together.
“Jinx” said May quickly.
“Doesn’t count in this house” June protested.
Suddenly, they spotted with their eagle eyes a rusty old key in the corner of the hallway. June picked it up delicately and inspected it with her pocket sized magnifying glass that she always kept. The words, “I unlock happiness” were engraved in the quaint writing.
“Wow.” They gasped at the same time. This time there was no jinxing. Only silence.
"I wonder if there is a box that this key will unlock so we will know what the inscription means,” May questioned June.
May and June scoured the house for a box, like a dying man searching for water in the desert. They could not find a box anywhere. They were devastated. May leaned against a wall. All of sudden the wall turned and she stumbled backwards. It was a secret wall!
May and June glanced at each other, took a deep breath and went into the hidden room.
It was empty. Dust danced dramatically through the air. May gripped the key tightly. In front of them was a rustic wooden door with a padlock hooked on it. The words, “Unlock me” were written on the door. It was in the same elegant writing as the engraving on the key.
May was very excited but altruistically gave the key to June. June’s hand trembled as she nervously stretched her hand and unlocked the door. The door screeched open. Their mouths dropped. They had just discovered the most scintillating room. On the right hand side wall there was a fabulous fireplace with a black grill, lined with marble tiles. May could still smell the smoke from the last time it was lit, and it reminded her of toasting marshmallows. June saw a grand oven which would be perfect for baking her cookies. Above it were wooden cupboards where she could store her cooking utensils.
They had unlocked happiness.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!