Take Back What's Yours

I venture during the sweltering Egyptian heat every day. But for what? What's in it for me? What’s in it for us? No joy. No equality. No freedom. These people slave everyday to construct and assemble the immense pyramids all in the honour of Pharaoh Ramses III. We carve our stories into the sandstone, hope that one day, when someone discovers them and put a stop to this. I may only be 15 but I have a fire within my soul. “Seth,” Omar murmured lightly nudging my shoulder. I brushed my hair behind my ear. “I found something, I found something amazing.” I dropped my wheelbarrow and followed him trying to avoid any sharp rocks peering through the sand. As we made our way further into the pyramids I noticed the light peering on the dusty walls, some of which were carved with very detailed carvings. “This one,” Omar dragged me to this carving. It was so delicate and simple yet so bold and significant. It showed the slaves bowing down to a distinct amulet. But not just any amulet. The amulet was formed into a cross like figure with healing jewels. I leant against the wall because I felt a connection. I felt that somehow this pendant has played a major part in my life. After observing, I felt a tense grip on my shoulder. Me and Omar stared at each other in fear as we thought we had been busted for taking a small break from our daily duties. “You two should not be in here,” grumbled a quiet voice. We both spun around. “Papi,” Omar sighed in relief, “you scared the living daylight out of me.” “And me,” I added. “We just finished our duties, so you two better get out of here before you two are busted by a lot worse than me.” As we made our way out I stumbled over landing painfully on the sand beneath me. Omar rushed towards me in panic, “Seth are you okay?” “I'm fine,” I noticed a silver chain peeking above the surface of the sand. “But what's that?” I questioned pointing towards it. Omar got to his knees and raised a cross like figure with glistening jewels. Omar slowly turned around dangling the pendent in front of my face. “The amulet.” When I arrived home frantic thoughts shot through my head. They were uncontrollable. “Nani,” I blurted out. “What’s this?” I pulled the chain out from my pocket. Her eyes widened “The Ankh Chakra Amulet,” she mumbled. She squatted beside me and took my hands “We always said your father passed due to a stroke,” she was hesitant, “but he was buried alive for murder.” My chest began to ache “Your father was a good guy, a nice husband and an amazing father but he was too passionate." “After the slave laws were enforced your dad didn’t agree so he killed the queen. Her soul was sucked into the amulet placed around her neck.” She looked away “He told me before he was sentenced to his punishment, to tell you to fight and take back what's yours."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!