Falling

I could think of multiple reasons why I was terrified! Starting something new like this wasn't exactly my strong suit. Though I don’t think that being drenched, freezing and shaky would be on anyone's wish list. Suping (stand up paddle boarding) wasn’t a word that made me jump with excitement.

As I slowly placed my left foot onto the board, it quivered, making ripples in the cold blue - green water. “In 3, 2, 1 you will all place both feet onto the board and push off the surface” explained the instructor. No way, I couldn’t! Situating my right foot onto the board would only lead to falling. Falling into the unwelcoming wintry lake!

It felt like hours since I had first pushed off onto the water and it still hadn’t become any more pleasant. Kneeling on my board in the middle of the lake the board drifted. Although I tried hard to direct the movement with my paddle, the board would not listen. I continued to drift further and further away from the group.

My heart pounded faster the further away I got. Suddenly the board came to a stop and I turned my head around. I had hit a bunch of weeds. The weeds were a light green and seemed to dance in the wind. As much as I felt safer at a stop, I was more worried to be further away from the group. So I slowly pushed against the weeds with my paddle and I began to move forward. Standing up I began to paddle and this time the board listened. This time I didn’t feel like I was falling, but I felt something else instead. I was glad, glad to be on this board, on this lake which was at this camp. Glad to be Suping!

As I moved closer to the rest of the group I smiled. Maybe I wasn’t so bad at this, maybe I was going to stay dry……maybe I had been a little too confident! My board started to sway. It swayed so hard that I fell to my knees! Could I stay put, or was I going to do what I had been terrified of since I set foot on this board? Terrified of falling.

Later that day…..


Yes, I fell. I had fallen into the freezing cold lake. Coming out drenched and shaky…..but it wasn’t so bad after all!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!