A Muddy Mess

While Charlotte and her parents, James and Gemma were walking down a steep road, she spotted an adorable and gorgeous Labrador struggling in the muddy river. Charlotte felt remorse for the Labrador so she called to her mother and said “ Mother, Mother come and look at the poor Labrador puppy.” “Oh deary me, don’t go anywhere near it sweetheart, it probably has germes and fleas,” her mother whispered.

Charlotte pleaded with her mother to save the suffering creature but her mother wouldn’t give in. Charlotte couldn’t stand to watch the Labrador any longer so she raced down the slippery steps and caught the whimpering puppy in her arms, as it was just about to go down the waterfall. She could hear her mother shouting and crying but Charlotte didn’t care about that, she only cared about the living creature that was in her arms, breathing quite heavily. She walked slowly and carefully so she could nurture the Labrador. Her mother and father rushed to her. Her mother pulled her into a bear hug while her father grabbed the puppy gently out of her arms.

Charlotte wanted to snatch the puppy out of her father's hands however, she didn’t believe she was strong enough to lift the fragile puppy. The family walked in silence but there was no silence in Charlotte's little mind. She had questions such as “ where would the puppy go, would it stay with her forever.” Finally her father broke the awkward silence and spoke. “ What you did back there Charlotte was reckless, selfish and extremely dangerous however, I am also extremely proud of you because you saved a helpless life. Charlotte smiled sweetly at her understanding father while her protective mother continued to squeeze her tightly.

They arrived at their lavish house and Charlotte finally questioned her parents. “ Where will the suffering puppy stay?” After a few minutes, her father answered “ I believe that we should keep the Labrador.” “ I don’t think…..” her mother protested but didn’t get to her finish her sentence. “Darling , Charlotte has received brilliant results for her school year so I believe she should be to keep the puppy,” her father interrupted.

“ What are you going to call that little monster,” her mother asked uneasily. “ I’m going to call her Lucky,” Charlotte replied with a spring in her step. They played all afternoon and every other afternoon. “ I love you Lucky,” Charlotte said adoringly.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!