The Seashell By Hannah Kim

The Seashell

I run to the cold shore. The sand tickles my toes. My parents are getting out of the car while I run to the chilly, glacial water. I walk in deeper. Before I know it, the water rises to my waist. My mum calls me back. On my way, I stumble on a beautiful seashell. I grab it, hiding it in my pocket. When we arrive home I can’t sleep. I take out the seashell from my pocket and stare at it mesmerised. The next day at school is nonetheless different. I wake up to school in the morning and realise I’m going to be late. But when I arrive I suddenly notice that I’m half an hour early. I feel an unusual shock. I walk to the library to speed up time.

When class starts I rush in to find a good spot. I spot a desk, empty, right in the front and centre, as if it had been waiting for me. When our teacher walks in that front door I remember that I had a pop quiz today. I suddenly dread every moment as the teacher hands out the papers. She counts down from three to signal that our time has started. I quickly turn over the paper and review all the questions. I expect to be disappointed by the score at the end of class but something unusual and “out of the blue” happens. I’m called to stay back after class. The outcome is preposterous. The teacher tells me that I received a perfect score. I’m perplexed. Still, in shock, I grab the assessment and walk out the door. I wonder how this could have happened on my way home. I ask myself “Did I just study hard?. But I rub out that possibility and realise that the only difference today is the beautiful shell I found quite recently. I pinch myself on the cheek hard. I find it hard to believe that a single shell could change my life.

I unlock the door and push into the room, the first thing I see, or rather smell is an astonishing aroma of beef lasagna. I wonder what the special occasion is for such a fancy meal. I am surprised to hear that my parents were just about to leave for a special dinner elsewhere and I had the house to myself for a good few hours. I rush upstairs not being able to believe my luck. Suddenly I hear a quiet constant ringing sound. As it gets louder I fall to the ground. Before I know it, I'm in my warm, cozy duvet while my dearest mother is persistently nagging me about not cleaning my room. I realise that it was all a sweet dream that will never come to life. I get up, not bothering to hurry when I hear a soft ‘thing’ drop. It’s a seashell. It suddenly it shines a blinding light. I’m fascinated by what I thought was not possible.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!