City To Country

The sun seeped through the silk blinds and right through Dez’s eye lids and the sound of a vagrant man playing the trumpet woke her up, “What a pleasant alarm.” she spoke quietly. It was another normal day for Dez, but most would call it ‘an extreme lifestyle’.

She pressed the small silver button on the right of the Spanish leather side table and her platinum coated bed pushed her off into a perfect landing position. Dez walked to her window and jerked open the curtains just to be greeted by a large crowd of fans and the sound of jazz. She reached in her wallet and grabbed a handful of $100 notes and threw them to her fans, they cheered loudly and waved their hands about frantically trying to catch a note.

She turned around to face three gargantuan suitcases the size of a small car. Dez clapped her hands thrice and six maids ran in her spacious room “Good morning miss, how can we assist you?” quoted the snug looking maid, “Good morning, I need three suitcases to be carried to the car.” One of the housemaids nodded her head then spoke in a low tone “Which car miss?” Dez smiled “The blue Ferrari thanks.”

A moment later, she climbed out of the luxury of her car, there was no media or the blinding flash of cameras. “The air of the country is so fresh, isn’t it?” sighed Dez dreamily. Roz, her driver and house cleaner nodded speechless of the lack of sound, no car horns or saxophone, only the sound of birds chirping.

“Madam, I’ll clean your room, while you explore around. “Why thank you Roz, after that, you can treat yourself to the Philippine cuisine meal I’m ordering. “Grazie.”, Roz was shocked, Dez was always a pleasant lady, but never so nice.

“Goodnight Mistress.” shouted Roz in her usual Spanish accent. “Oh Roz, what mistress, call me Dez.” she laughed. Roz smiled.

The sun seeped through the silk curtains and straight through Dez’s eye lids, the chirping of the woodpeckers and clucking of the roosters woke her up “What a typical alarm for the country.” sighed Dez joyfully.
She jumped out of her bed. On the side of the wooden, bijou model of a house there was a wide window. She flung it open and it felt like the whole country slapped her in the face, the breeze was strong, but she enjoyed the feeling, there was a vast flock of finches and parrots resting on a hazel oak tree chirping and squawking. “I understand, you want food”. She skipped to a marble cupboard and pulled out a small pouch of nuts and seeds. “Don’t fight for the food, there should be enough for everyone.” Some of the birds cocked their heads to the side and Dez knew they had no clue of what she was saying, but she wasn’t concerned, her stress therapy worked.




FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!