The Confession

The lush green forest stretched out for miles on end. The afternoon sun shone through the huge trees, casting dappled green light over everything. Bright green moss covered the forest floor like a carpet. Sitting underneath one of the enormous trees sat a young girl, no older than fourteen. In her hands she held a tattered book. It was open on her lap and she was writing carefully on the pages. She was wearing a patched yellow dress that her mother had made all those years ago. Her auburn hair was twisted into a messy bun. She had pale skin and rosy cheeks with blood-red lips and intelligent blue eyes that twinkled when she spoke. Just visible beneath the collar of her worn dress was a thin gold chain.

As the sky darkened and the sun set on the horizon the girl gently closed the book and stood up. She stretched and walked quietly through the forest, collecting firewood as she went. As she approached a clearing on the edge of the forest she saw smoke curling from the chimney of a small cottage. She entered the cottage and the scent of rosemary mingled with the smell of perfectly cooked chicken and crispy potatoes. "April? Is that you?" Her mother called from the kitchen. "It’s me." April replied. She turned to the kitchen and her mother came into view.

April’s mother looked nothing like her. Molly had brown hair falling past her shoulders and tanned skin. Her kind brown eyes sparkled and pale lips stretched into a wide smile. She was wearing a floral dress that was a size to small for her. Over the dress was a dirty apron covered with greasy smudges.

"Did you get more firewood?" Her mother asked April. April showed her the pile of wood her arms in response. “Excellent.” Molly said as she returned her gaze to the chicken roasting in the oven. The air was filled with an awkward silence. “Right! Dinners ready!” Announced Molly suddenly. April went and sat down at the table while Molly took the chicken out of the oven and placed it on the table. “How was your day?” Molly questioned as her daughter tucked into the meal ravenously. April looked up at her mother, her mouth crammed full of food. April swallowed and answered with a casual, “good.” The rest of the meal was eaten in silence.

After dinner was finished and cleared away, April got ready for bed. She changed into her pyjamas, brushed her teeth and slipped into bed. Her mother came into her bedroom not long after. “What would you like to here tonight?” Molly asked. April thought for a moment. “I want to hear about my father and why he gave this to me.” April replied, pulling out the golden chain from around her neck. After a moments hesitation her mother sighed and began to speak.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!