Sunset

It had been a sunny Sunday evening when Judith had been absentmindedly singing her favourite song. She had thought she had heard an echo. Sure enough, soon she heard a voice singing the song. Then the singer came into view.
“Give me all your valuables!” the boy said. Judith’s first thought was OMG! He’s so handsome! Then, why am I thinking this? He’s pointing a sword at my chest! “NEVER!” As soon as the boy heard her voice, his face turned red. “Um… sorry…” he muttered. “It’s fine. I’m Judith Baker.” she replied. “William Carter Nelson Anderson. But you can call me Will,” he told her sheepishly. “Wow. And I thought my name was bad.”

Over the next weeks, Will and Judith met whenever they could. Judith thought Will was smart and funny. He was handsome too.
Will thought Judith was beautiful and intelligent.

One day, they were sitting in a tree when they heard a growl. They immediately stopped talking. “I think the sound came from there,” Will whispered. They slowly approached the branch and caught something invisible. As soon as it was captured, the creature became visible. It was a baby dragon! It was gold and crimson with occasional orange scales. It’s teeth were glistening in the sunlight, and its claws were sharper than the sharpest sword. It was truly a majestic beast.
“Is that what I think it is?” Judith asked. “If you think it’s a baby dragon, then yes,” Will replied. “Look, it’s really skinny! It must be starving, poor thing,” Judith said. “I read in a book once that dragons eat meat. I’ll save it some chicken.” she told Will. “I’ll save it some beef jerky from my snack, too! I just hope it survives,” said Will with a dark look.
However, the next day, only Judith brought food for Sunset the dragon. “When I told them about the dragon, they said it was a ‘likely tale’” Will told Judith. Luckily, Judith had brought enough chicken to cover for Will. “A WHOLE CHICKEN!?” Will practically shouted. “My parents said I could take it as long as they can see the dragon.”
Unfortunately, the very day that Judith had arranged for her parents to see Sunset, he disappeared! Then Judith found a note saying:

If you want your dragon back, give me all your valuables or answer this riddle-
Go ahead adventurer to
The highest place in Eastside
And underneath your mother’s bones
You will find your guide.
“Well, first, it says to go to the highest place in Eastside- Snowy Hill… But underneath our mother’s bones…” Then Judith had a brainwave. “What if it doesn’t literally mean our mother’s bones? What if it’s a metaphor? Our mother’s bones- Mother Earth! So her bones would be stones!”

When they found the map and went to the ‘X’, they found Sunset! The party they had set up was a success! After the party, they set Sunset free and they watched Sunset fly into the sunset.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!