New Years Eve

Gunfire rattled through the air. Screams of pain rang out as bullets met their mark. The stench of the sewers underneath Time Square reeked of the worst smells imaginable. I ran through the grime in the tunnels, towards the terrorists. Whilst New York is celebrating new Years eve, the entirety of the NYPD is focused on taking out a threat, the exact information unable to be disclosed to the public. Whilst my girlfriend is waiting in Time Square I am running toward a bomb. Ticking underneath her feet. One that will go off if I don’t make it in time. As the engagement ring bounced in my pocket I think about all the things I’ll never get to say to her if I don’t get to the bomb in time. I’ll never get the chance to ask her to marry me. We’ll never get the chance to have kids. I dive down as a bullet whips past my ear. I quickly dash to the closest piece of cover, getting ever closer to the bomb. I hear shouts coming from further down the tunnel then footsteps running away. As I approach the small room where the terrorists are camped out I see only one guard. He turns around as he heard me approaching only to see a fist flying towards his nose. He was out cold before he hit the ground, with a wet squelch. Shouts ring out behind me, then I turn to see three more terrorists approaching. One terrorist swung out with a knife but I ducked underneath his swing and punched him in the gut. I pushed him into the next guy then punched the third terrorist in the throat. I pulled my gun out then hit each of the terrorists with the butt of the gun to make sure they wouldn’t disturb me while I defuse the bomb. It was just lucky that more terrorists weren’t guarding the bomb. I look for the tell-tale flashing light of the bomb, then spot it. Attached to the roof. A small step ladder was huddled in the corner of the room, so I run over and pull it out, setting it up underneath the bomb. I pull out the bomb defusing kit that was issued to each officer in-case they find the bomb, so I can stop it exploding. I grab the tweezers and survey the bomb, trying to remember the bomb defusing courses run by the department. Eventually I recognise the wire arrangement and the shape of the bomb. C4. I slowly go through the stages of defusing the bomb, then I notice the timer. 10… 9… 8… I try to remember the final stages of defusing the bomb 7… 6… 5… I suddenly remember! Cut the red wire – But which one. 4… 3… 2… 1… I choose one wire and cut it. Just as the timer hits 0.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!