The Sign Read ” Keep Out” .

The sign read keep out. The letters are red but now faded. The sign rusty and hanging over to one side. Looking so frail, that if a big gust of wind came past , it would fall to the ground. Dave, my idiotic best friends looks eager, grinning from ear to ear. I search his face for any sign of fear but I see none other than excitement. My heart beats hard in my chest and my breathing quickens. I try to muster up a smile and turn to Dave, I start to say, “you know this looks fun and all but what about we go to McDonald’s instead...”. He cuts me off with a wave of his hand, looking unconvinced. My heart sinks. “Elle you promised you would come to abandoned house if you lost monopoly so you can’t back out now.” He says a bit too strongly. “Fine” I mutter.

I look up at the fence that mind you is two times higher than I am. I gulp. I look at Dave who is already half way up, as the fence shakes and groans under his weight. I pat my clammy hands dry on my jeans and begin my way up. I finally reach the top and count to three as I prepare myself to jump. I feel my hair whip against my face as I land to the ground with a thud, my legs and arms sprawled in all directions. Dave laughs and offers his hand. “Wow you should take up rock climbing '' he says in a sarcastic tone. I half heartedly laugh and throw a punch into his shoulder.

My body gets more and more stiff as the house draws closer. I look up to see a huge crumbling house that is charcoal black, old and weathered. The doors are large and the windows are shattered. One thought rushes into my mind “what happened to the place?”.

I turn my head around to Dave who looks even more excited than before. “What happened to this place?” I whisper in a hushed shaky tone. Dave turns to me, “No one really knows, the neighbours hear shrieks and screams from inside the house every now and then but no one has lived here for more than 29 years cool huh?” he says in a shrill tone. I look at him in utter disbelief “cool?!“ No definitely not cool Dave!” My voice begins to get louder, “why in the world would you take me here! “Nuh uh, no way”, I say as I turn on my feet and begin to go back.

I feel his hand grasp onto my shoulder. “Please Elle don’t go, I’m sorry I just knew you wouldn’t of come if you knew all the um details. It’s all made up anyway.” He looks to the floor, even if he doesn’t look sure and that look of doubt on his face scares me even more.

The house reeks of mould and dust. I cover my nose. I look around at the large extravagant chandelier hanging from the ceiling the spiraling wooden staircase and a rocking chair to the corner. I swear I see it move back and further ever so slightly. I assure myself I’m being crazy and whisper to myself get it together.

I look up to find myself completely alone. My heart beats hard against my chest. My stomach tightness and my lips go dry. “Dave”, I scream frantically, “Dave?!” I clamber up the stairs taking two, three steps at a time. I open the first door to my right and my heart stops, inside I see many eyes staring me down and menacing smiles each with a red bows on their heads. There are dolls lined from top to bottom covering every inch of the wall and then the lights go out. I try to let out a scream but all that comes out is a strangled noise. I run to the door my hands touching the cold metal of the door handle, I shake the handle push and pull but it won’t budge. It’s locked. I’m locked in a room full of dolls.

I turn around to see red glowing eyes. A high single shrill giggle feels my ears then more and more until the whole room echoes with giggles. I begin to sob. “No no this can’t be happening it’s just can’t”, I scream. I feel tiny hands clamber all over me grabbing at my legs, my shoulders my face, until I feel my entire body covered in tiny stone cold hands...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!