Torn Up


For most of her life, Jenny was an adopted child of a strict but loving family. Her adopted father Finn was a banker, her mother Olivia owned a restaurant and her brother Luke was a hardcore gamer. Jenny adored them. They were a perfect match for her timid and introverted personality. Underneath the Millers’ innocent family portrait, they hid their guilt.
“Mum, I’d like a sister,” said Jenny “who I can talk to!”.
Olivia was quiet for some time before she replied, “I’ll think about it…”
After months of deliberating, Luke, Finn, Olivia and Jenny entered through the doors of the orphanage.
Laren the orphan lived differently. Unlike Jenny’s picturesque life, Laren suffered. Laren despises living in an orphanage. She couldn’t wait to be adopted. The other orphan girls refused to be her friend for Laren’s personality was too firey for them.
Jenny skipped down the corridors with Luke and Olivia some metres behind. Sitting on a bench by herself, Jenny joyfully approached Laren.
“Hello! What’s your name?” asked Jenny.
“I’m Laren and you are…?”
“Jenny!”
They got along perfectly and shared their life stories. Laren’s thought to herself, “Me and Jenny … could be sisters. Laren glanced at Finn and Olivia. Had she seen them before? Weird. Jenny’s parents realised Laren’s gaze and fled, grabbing Jenny and Luke on the way. They stayed silent. Everytime Jenny why they wanted to leave so soon, they just looked away. She thought she heard, “We can’t let the girls know who they really are.”
“Mother, Well I’ve finally found a sister. Her name’s Laren and she’s perfect.”
“NO!” Olivia snapped, “certainly not. Do you believe this Finn? That girl was...”
Olivia’s voice trailed off. “This conversation is over!”
Luckily, Jenny had Laren’s number.
Jenny: Hey. Sorry about today. Parents are weird.
Laren: It’s okay. I have something to tell you…
Jenny: ???
Laren: You’re going to flip. Meet me behind the orphanage when it’s dark. I’ll find a way out.
Jenny: OMG. Let’s do it…
At dusk, Jenny made sure her parents were getting into bed as she snuck out. She hopped on her bike and cycled to the orphanage.
“You made it!” beamed Laren.
“Of course! I’m so glad to see you again. So, tell me what you know!”
“So, I broke into the orphanage’s files and found my profile. It had all the details about my biological parents. I also saw your name… You are my real sister.”
The two were silent for a minute. Eyes widened.
“We need to find out what happened to them!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!