THE TALE OF THE CUNNING MICE

Excellence Award in the 'Inspired 2019' competition

Once there were three wild but beautiful bears and three chimps. The chimps were also wild, but not quite as beautiful as the bears. They all worked together to build a hut and it was amazingly sparkly and comfortable so they decided to show it off to the whole world. They were very rich so they said, “Whoever gives us the finest clothes will get sixty bucks.”
Across the country, two mice heard this. They neither had very fine clothes nor were they very rich. But they were great liars. So they said to each another: “This money will make us very rich. For they don’t know that we are great liars.” So immediately the next day they went to the castle that was actually a hut and there they said to the rich animals that were bears and chimps: “We have the finest clothes for you. If you give us the gold, we will make the clothes for you.” The animals were delighted. They did not know that the mice were telling a fib. The next day, one of the bears was supposed to come to the mice to check on them if they were making the clothes. The chief bearess decided not to come after all, because she did not want to get her fur messy. And so, she sent a chimp instead. And the mice said to the chimp, who wasn’t the brightest and therefore easily fooled: “You can see the clothes, can’t you? Of course, only intelligent animals, like bears and chimps, can see our creations. They are so beautiful, definitely the finest clothes in all the land.” The chimp actually couldn’t see the clothes. But he did not want to look foolish, so he reported back to the other chimps and bears that the clothes-making of the mice was going very well. But the next day, the mice pretended to bring in the most brilliant clothes, which of course we know was a total lie, because they did not actually make any clothes.
And again, the mice told all the bears and chimps, that only the smartest animals such as chimps and bears were able to see the clothes. The chimps pretended to see the clothes as they did not want to appear stupid.
The bears, on the other hand, were actually truly intelligent creatures and saw through the fake tale of the non-existing clothes immediately. The bears were angry that in front of their guests they were naked and that the mice were so cheeky to take them for fools. So immediately the bears ordered to send the mice to jail. But the mice, cunning as always, were much too fast for the bears and chimps. They grabbed the money and ran out of the hut gates as fast as their little legs could carry them.
The mice did not live in luxury for long. Sixty bucks does not get you very far after all.
The End

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!