Survival

I wake up, my tummy is screaming at me for food. I had to go get the water this time seeing as it's my turn. I get up and stumble. My legs are so weak. I rub my eyes and start walking. My eyes are nearly popping out of my head I'm so tired. The sun is shining on my face. I'm boiling. I walk past a few people they just stare. I ignore them. Then I see more people, this time they look away. "Finally, I'm here" I dig and dig for water. I get my basket and scoop some water up. I guess it's time to start walking back. I find a hair clip on the way. I leaned down to get it and I totally forgot about the water. The water slips out of my hands and the basket rolls down the hill. I go chasing after it. I wasn't fast enough. It makes a splash as it rolls into the water. I can't go back empty handed, what am I supposed to tell my parents. I sigh. I know I'm going to be in big trouble.
"Mum! Dad! I have,” hold that thought. “Where's your basket with the water in it?” “Ummm, I dropped it but I found this hair clip.” “The hair clip isn't as important as the water and our health. Go get more water.”
"I'm back!" "Thank you." The next day my siblings went and got the water. But later I noticed they weren't coming and we found out they were dead. My parents and I were devastated and still are to this day. That was 50 years ago, I am 61 now. My parents and I are still trying to find out why they died. I guess we will never know.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!