Saving Lives

The beach is my happy place; the one place I know best. As waves crash aggressively across the shore, I tie my hair, grab my surfboard and run. The breeze in my hair, sand in my toes and the smell of the water infuses my nose. The beach is the one place I can go and let all the bad thoughts out of my head. School is stressful for me, I find it really hard because of my dyslexia. Dyslexia targets reading and writing, I have always struggled with that aspect of learning. That's the reason I love surfing so much because it has nothing to do with school, it's purely for your own enjoyment.
I live in Surfer's Cove. I have grown up here. Each year in summer there's a surfing competition. I would love to enter but there is an age limit of 16, I have one more year to wait. I'm here to watch and support the surfers who have entered. The competition starts later today. As I swim, the breeze makes me shiver, its easterly. A storm is on the way. I hope its ok for the competitors. I lay out my towel to relax and sunbake, I drift into a slumber dreaming of what was to come in the surfing comp. I dreamed about being on top of a 10 foot high wave, flying through the air, doing roundhouse and cutback tricks, I wish that was possible.
I wake up and notice more people are around, the competition is about to start. One by one each surfer was showing us what they're made of.
Up next was Finn Whattingbird he was the winner last year. As Finn swims out there was a massive wave. He stood up on his board. Everyone was silent. His foot slipped and he fell in the water. The massive wave crashed over him, I could see he was struggling to get back up; his head was bopping in and out of the water. I knew I had to do something. I hopped up and ran to the shore lots of people were telling me not to disturb the surfer but I knew he was in trouble. I leaped into the water and swam to Finn, I tried to be fast. The lifeguards were just behind me. I took hold of Finn and swam back to shore. I placed him on the sand and let the lifeguards take over.
As I walked on the beach swarms of people and news reporters wanted to congratulate me and interview me, I knew it was my time to shine so I gladly said yes. The next day at school almost every person told me how heroic I was about saving Finn. Then I saw Finn, as he approached, I was getting butterflies in my stomach. He was thanking me for saving him and asked me to go out surfing with him sometime soon, and I agreed.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!