Tasseography

The door creaked loudly as it opened. Who would have known that a door so small could open that slowly. I walked into the light to discover a miniature room filled with the most peculiar items. From old paint brushes to interesting wooden boxes. The room had a very distinctive smell, of canvases and cigars. “Uncle Ray?” I spoke as the voice created an echo. Suddenly, a head poked up from behind the desk that gave me a fright. “Well hello little one!”, spoke the tiny man as he began to stand up. “What can I do for you today?”, he asked before sipping his tea from an old fashioned mug. “I am after that book we spoke of the other day”, I replied. “Ahh yes! I really think you are going to love this one, just wait until you reach chapter – “. He paused. He just stood there staring into the depths of his curious cup of tea before I asked, “what is wrong uncle?”. He looked up at me with fear. “Take a seat darling”, he spoke very quietly and I sat down in a small rocking chair.
He grabbed one of the old paint brushes from his desk and began to create an artwork. After about five minutes he placed the artwork in front of me. It was of a little girl and her family standing at a cemetery. I was extremely confused. He began to speak, “our family is in great danger and by the end of the week, someone in our family will be gone”. This made no sense, everyone in our family was healthy and happy, this news couldn’t be true. “How can you be so sure?” I questioned. He handed me his cup of tea. “Tasseography”, he whispered. “It has never been wrong”. He gave me the book I had wanted and I headed home, amazed and worried. As soon as I arrived home, I did everything I could to make sure my family was safe. I struggled to sleep as I was too stressed.
The end of the week finally arrived I woke up and raced to check on my family. I saw my loving family eating breakfast like a normal morning and I was beyond relieved. Even though I was so happy, it got me thinking about what my uncle had said… “It has never been wrong”. I had to confront my uncle about the situation. I walked across the bridge to his house and arrived at the tiny door. The door creaked loudly as it opened. Who would have known that a door so small could open that slowly. I walked into the light to discover a miniature room filled with nothing. Every peculiar object was gone. “Uncle Ray?”, I spoke as the voice echoed against the empty walls. There was no reply…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!