The Waters Waves

Finalist in the 'The Inside Story 2020' competition

I peered out above the water and watched the swell come to shore. I felt the sand between my little toes and dug in deep. I wondered about the mysteries of life. The depths of the unknown, just like the depths of the deepest, darkest parts of the sea. There is so much to life that we do not yet know, do not yet understand. Why we live and why we were placed on this Earth, have always been a mystery to me. It was also always a mystery as to why people eventually had to leave.
I remembered sitting down here, in this very spot upon the long, breezy shoreline. I remembered him sitting beside me, drawing in the sand. He always drew some type of animal, they always turned out looking like random scribbles, but it always made me smile. I remember his calm, soothing voice comforting me as his arm lay across my shoulders, holding me tightly into his chest. His kisses on my forehead, so tender and sweet. I think that is what I will miss the most.
I sat down on the cold, smooth sand and looked around. Couples walking along the water’s edge together and children playing in the soft, sweet sand. I put my hands down onto the sand either side of me and closed my eyes. I listened to the whirling of the wind and the crashing of the waves, the chirping of the seagulls. I heard innocent giggles from the children nearby and the voice of their parents telling them to be careful. I heard a dog’s tags jingle as it speeds its way up and down the shoreline, having the time of its life. I wondered why something so calming, so innocent, was ever meant to be stripped away. The thought hurt. I opened my eyes.
I looked forward into the ocean and just simply watched and listened and remembered. I remembered the time he sat beside me right in this very spot. He held me close and kissed my head gently. That was when he first told me.
I cried quietly into his strong arms but realised they were not as strong as they were before. That’s how that sort of thing went. You wasted away until there is nothing left to give. I felt the light burn in my eyes as tears began to fall down my pale face. I looked down into my lap and covered my head. It hurt to think of him, but it also hurt to try move on. I never wanted to forget him, I loved him so dearly.
I held my head up and looked beside me, it seems silly, but I thought I could see a mark where he had sat in the sand. As though he had only just gotten up to get a drink and would be right back in a second. I put my hand on the sand and closed my eyes and said, ‘I love you Dad.’

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!