Oblivion

I hit the concrete with a thump, a throbbing pain immersed my consciousness. My black vision cleared to a speckled grey blur and I could hear a name being called.

"Anna can you hear me? Anna open your eyes," this name reminded me of something, but I couldn’t remember why it came across significant.

And I wondered who was calling out…Wait, Anna was my name, someone was calling for me. Desperately wanting to see who it was, I tried to open my eyes. I saw a slit of warm light before a heavy weight made them shut again. I felt somebody’s warm hand squeeze mine and I forced my eyes open. Needles pricked into my arms, stickers and wires stuck to me, a plastic structure entrapped my mouth, oxygen rushing into my lungs, beeping and sirens and lights, sterilizing white lights radiated into my eyes. A rush of reality flooded my unconscious state and there sat a person. She was looking down upon me. I realised she was a paramedic and I was in an ambulance. Compelling my mind into a conscious state, I sat up.

“Anna, calm down, you’re okay, it’s alright,” the paramedic assured me.

I don’t know how long I stared at her anxious face until she laid me back down and an extreme sharp pain engulfed my head. A bloodcurdling scream burst from my throat and I was being wheeled out of the ambulance and into a hospital. Doctors and nurses were looking down on me concerned and assertive. I could hear voices, one of which spoke, “She hit her head badly and we’re going to have to operate on it now.”

A needle pricked my arm and I fell into a deep slumber.

I couldn’t move, the white lights were blinding. My head hurt like hell; I really wanted to die, or was I dead? Why was I here? Was this my afterlife? Soon enough, I realized I was still in the hospital after surgery. A face looked down on me, blocking the light. It was my mum. Tears wet her face and I started to cry.

“I’m so sorry mum.”

“Everything’s okay, as long as you‘re okay,” she replied.

1 week of recovery and therapy later and I was unfortunately back at school. The group of bullies were there. I tried to avoid them, but they came up to me.

“What happen to you?”

“Um, I had to have surgery,” I replied anxiously.

“You’re such a show off! You do it all for attention.”

After that, I felt the weight again, the weight of disappointment, disapproval, disparagement. I had always thought it was my depression. But I knew it was me. I shouldn’t have been in this world and I was just making everything worse by remaining. That afternoon, I walked to the park feeling dejected and distant from reality. I jumped and I hit the concrete with a thump. I was dead, but the pain was inevitable, it demanded to be felt.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!