Fairies And Trolls

My eyes fluttered open to see a peculiar face staring back at me. It appeared to be grotesque, but I didn’t reproach it in any way.
A troll.
I read about them before in Norse Mythology. Trolls are usually portrayed as stupid and dim-witted, but at the same time, enjoyed the taste of human flesh. They rarely helped humans such as myself, so why would a troll be here? I sat up and watched as the troll made its way to my door before looking back at me. Getting out of bed, I followed the troll out.
I put on my winter boots and followed him into the snowy forest. Every few metres, he’d check behind to make sure I was still following. After what seemed like an hour, we wandered into a dewy area. This was peculiar, as it was rare that there wasn’t snow.
Nevertheless, I continued to follow the troll. Another creature whizzed past my face, causing my steps to fault for a moment. I didn’t know what it was, but the area around me seemed to glow. The troll growled slightly but kept walking.
By now, I could hear soft giggles and chatter. I couldn’t make out any words, but it was most definitely there. I glanced around, trying to find where the chatter was coming from. I continued on until the troll suddenly disappeared into the bushes and the glowing stopped.
I was scared. Alone, in what seemed to be the middle of nowhere. Another faint glow appeared in the distance and I found myself being lured to it. I saw some females in a clearing. They seemed normal to an extent. The extent was that they had pointy ears and appeared to only be half there.
They were Alvs.
I read that they were beautiful and mastered in the art of magic and illusions. I knew to be careful, but they seemed so enchanting. As I approached them, I became aware of the cracking sounds around me.
The illusion faded and I found myself in the middle of a frozen lake. I heard some soft violin playing that sounded enchanting and so I continued on, ignoring the cracking. Soon, the ice cracked under me and I fell into the water. Unable to get back up to the surface, I sunk further down. That’s when I saw it.
A nøkken.
Known for luring people onto thin ice by playing violin then waiting for them to sink down to the bottom. I had fallen for yet another illusion.

My vision faded to black.

I woke up and saw a young woman dressed in a nightgown. It disappeared instantly but I knew what it was. A Nattmara. They’re said to give you bad dreams.
Shaking off what I assumed was a dream, I got out of bed, ignoring my wet pajama's hanging to dry. Some things were best left unquestioned. Perhaps I’ll take that route again. Maybe I’ll see the troll soon.
I was excited to travel again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!