I Made It!

Footsteps shook the ground as my heart thumped out of my body. My hands trembled as I slowly rose to my feet. My feet were like mice steps compared to the gigantic thuds getting closer and closer to my throbbing ears. I slowly raised my hands for mercy. ‘Is this the end,’ I wondered, as a shadow draped over me, ‘is it?’ …

Up in the second half of the snowy mountains, I could see the snow drifting down like little ballerinas. The howling wind, on the other hand, whistled in my ears as I hiked further and further up the mountain. As I wiped my brow I could taste the salty sweat dripping down my face. I could smell a warm, freshly baked cinnamon donut scent drifting up the mountain after me. It mixed with the fresh smell of pine trees to remind me of Christmas. The clouds crowded the sun, so that no sunlight could escape the sun's little round ball. The wind whipped my face as though it was a punishment for climbing the mountain today. The snow fought with my feet as my boots dug into it’s hard, crunchy surface. I could taste the bitterness of the air surrounding me as I got closer and closer towards the summit. As I finally reached the summit my whole body ached, my leg muscles screamed for mercy and my upper body cried as I vomited then collapsed into a heap onto the snow.

That’s when I felt the ground tremble and the shadow peer over me.

“Are you okay?” came a low, loud voice, “would you like some help?” I slowly opened my eyes, half expecting to see a monster appearing. But no, it was just someone on the ski patrol.
“Yes please,” I croaked, “if you don’t mind.”
“Oh it’s alright,” he chuckled, “it is my job after all.”
“Sure,” I replied, glad I now didn’t have to walk back down the mountain. He drove me all the way back down the mountain. We zoomed down the peak and raced down the slope. We bumped down the track and we crept and buzzed past blurry unknown objects. We skyrocketed past help centres, ski resorts and shot past other unknown objects. He made sure I found my parents. They made such a loud, lovely fuss of me, smothering me with kisses and crushing me with hugs.

I was delighted to make it to the bottom and graciously thanked the man called Joe on the ski patrol. We made our way to our house and had hot milo’s in bed. I lay in bed and my muscles melted into the warmth of the cosy doona as my brain got lost in my dreams.



THE END!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!