Karina Lenehan

RUN
Cicadas roared in the background; the clear blue sky enclosed the tall green mountains. The air is hot and the land is dry. The river at the front of the house is baron and the river bed is like baby powder. The eagles soar in the sky scavenging for any cattle carcases the drought may have claimed.
Smoke rises from the mountain. It’s here. It’s here! Calm down son. We still have time to run. Jack looked out the window. The mountain illuminated. Can we go now? We are, we are!
We get into our silver Isuzu which isn’t silver anymore. Let’s get out of here while we still can! The engine coughs to life. Dad’s sweat ran down his cheeks. The red monster was coming. We got onto the highway and there were the heroes, fire trucks zooming past us. That’s when we knew it was bad. Hundreds of them going to the fight of their lives…
My brother Rowdy cries. I tell him it is going to be okay but nothing is really going to be okay. The car chokes again.
“DAM!!”
“What is it?” I ask Dad.
Dad says we are out of diesel. The words echo in my head… We’re dead for sure!
My eyes fill with tears. I need a drink but Dad didn’t pack any.
“Sorry darling.” He says. Most times I get angry when he calls me darling but this time I don’t mind.
“Where are we going Dad? “
“Evacuation Centre” He coughs.
“And where is that?” I ask.
“Down by the lake. It will be safe their mate.” He says reassuringly.
We quickly walk down the bumpy, dirt track. Finally, we reach the Evacuation Centre down by the lake. I feel relieved to be there. I grab two cookies and lay down on an empty bed. I close my eyes and my head fill with thoughts. Will our house still be there? Are my pets okay? But then I realise that it doesn’t matter, as long as we are together, safe and one big family.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!