Dance To Live

The spotlight was on me and only me. I spun as the tension grew on my back. It wanted to weigh me down but I would never let it. As my confidence grew and the dance drew to an end, I put in my all. The music was suspenseful. The drums beat in my chest. I was ready. I leaped through the air, light as a feather and let myself drift to the ground. The audience erupted. It rang in my ears. My adrenaline shot through the roof. I never wanted this moment to stop.

Dancing was my passion. But what is a passion if you aren’t supported? This was my exact situation. All I wanted was to dance ballet. Floating on the stage as if it were air is what I craved. How I wished I wasn’t male. I feel like the mule in a herd of steeds and I hate it. I am sick of being the odd one out. The pretty little ballerinas look so innocent on stage with their little pirouettes. Nobody has a clue how defeated I feel.

I arrive at practice, ready to be ridiculed. I start to warm up, stretching my legs on the banister. A girl comes up to me and pushes me. I could have sworn I tore a muscle. I tough it out and continue. I go home and resume my practice. One day, I told myself. One day the stage will be mine.

I decide to take a walk through the town square. I was lost in the deep and twisted thoughts of my mind when a flyer caught my eye. I took a closer look. ‘Come to 35 Avenue street on Monday and compete in a dancing competition. Winner gets their own live show in London!’ While processing this, I knew that I could not pass this up. I immediately applied and headed home to start working on my routine. Monday was only a week away.

I practiced relentlessly. This dance was mine and mine to perfect. I look at my shoes. They look as worn out as me. But just like them, I had to hold on a bit longer. A few practices later, it was flawless.

It was finally my moment to shine. I held my breath and crossed my fingers. I danced my cares away and felt free. As I finished in my ending position, my awareness came back and I found myself shaking. It’s okay, I’m fine.

The next day I received an email. I opened it… I won! I was leaving the next day and I was beyond excited.
This time it’s the bright lights of the London stage. I was there on stage with millions watching. As I danced, I heard the cheering of a full audience. My name is finally going to be heard. I dance to forgive. I dance to move on. I dance to live. I am where I want to be.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!