Talk About Grounded For Life!

Grey and foreboding the castle stood atop the hill looking down towards the small town. In the topmost window of the highest tower stood a small boy called Jesse. The diminutive, hopeful boy always stood at the window at exactly 5:32 pm every evening for a reason every time. The same reason he got stuck there in the first place when he was an infant. As he stared out into the big, beautiful world, he wondered if he would ever get to feel the warmth and safeness of the ground or the comforting spring breeze flow in between his legs and arms. Soon, but not too soon, the sun lowered itself to sleep. And the moon would awaken like a beautiful angel lighting up the night. “See you tomorrow,” sighed Jesse.
He cozied up into his warm bed and slowly fell into a deep sleep.
Jesse awoke, but he wasn’t in the tower. He was in one of the village houses, late at night. Children screaming with terror. Adults yelling for help and some, praying. Spitting images of orange flames surrounded him. A woman appeared in front of Jesse. She looked familiar, pale skin, stubby nose, and long black silky hair. The woman laughed evilly…
“Ding! Dong! Ding! Dong!” The town came to life as the kids raced out to play games, sharing laughter and happiness. The parents, calmly following behind them to greet the neighbours. And as always, Jesse came to the window to watch the beautiful scene. “Please come and play with me…” Jesse whispered. But no one would stand 100 feet near the tower. Would you? It was covered in splotches of mosses and mushrooms and tended to make a creepy howl as the wind would ride up and down the staircase. It wasn’t exactly a place to play hide and seek or any game for the matter. The day went by very slowly. Every minute, every hour was the same as the last. “Will my father ever come for me? Does he care about me?” Jesse looked at the blinding sun.
“5:32 pm” he sighed. Suddenly, a flying light grey dot appeared on the horizon, coming towards Jesse’s direction. Closer and closer until it was so close that Jesse could even smell its filthy breath. The scales were lined with shiny gold. The wings were so huge that they could create a category 3 cyclone by just spinning around. Jesse stared, speechless. A dragon.
The mythical creature looked into the eyes of the boy. “Father?” the boy cried.
“Yes, it is I. Hurry, we must go. We do not have long before it strikes.”
“Before what strikes?” Jesse asked curiously.
“Great Vanessa, the all-powerful evil and sneaky demigoddess, also…your mother.”
Jesse opened his mouth to speak, remembering his dream and that devilish woman, but before he could, his father interrupted him. “No time for questions. We must go…if we are too late, you’ll never see the light of day again. No one will.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!