Dancing In Darkness

Pieces of me are missing. Literally.

They say I’m perfect, the way I am. They say it with pitied smiles plastered on their faces, but their eyes always linger at the place where my arm should be.

Every time, I just smile and nod at their comments. But every time, I feel something deep inside me stir.

I am NOT perfect. Not even close. No matter how many times they try to convince me.

I will never be perfect. Never.

Sometimes I see Darkness. Sometimes he comes to play with me. Sometimes he tortures me, long into the soundless hours of the night.

I really can’t help it. He always comes uninvited.

Except….except….when I’m dancing, everything just fades away. Sadness flows out of my fingertips when I dance, replaced by a real sense of calm. A real sense of almost….happiness. Even with only one arm, I feel the beat within me. It’s like a flame, urging me to take the next step. Then the next step.

When I’m dancing, I feel like a bird. A bird that can fly, all around the world, non-stop. There’s only me, and the space around me. And if I try hard enough, it’s almost like I can hear the girls in portraits at the back of the room - all cheering for me.

I am powerful, carefree, unstoppa-

My legs turn jelly. The whole world spins. Last thing I hear? “Call the ambulance!”

My mother’s anguished wail throbs my heart.

.
.


I look around. There’s white everywhere. Beds, walls, floors. All eerily white.

It almost feels like it has seen too many bad memories - and lost its colour.

The doctor’s footsteps echo in the doorway, each step getting louder. I feel dark, heavy butterflies in my stomach, as he invites himself, walking through my door.

I swear I see the wall turn just that little paler, like it is bracing for bad news.

I guess the wall was right.

The doctor just told me.

I can’t ever dance again. Never.

It is at that moment, I see my friend.

Darkness.

And I welcome him.



FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!