False Alarm

It was horrible, Ellie and her family’s farm down the coast wasn't going to survive the drought. The drought had killed 50% of the sheep and 20% of the cows. The dogs were thirsty, but there was not much water in the water tank. All they could do about it was stay calm and pray for rain and that's pretty much all they did.
Ellie’s 15 year old brother Ben was just complaining about how he thinks he does all the jobs and since Ellie was now 12, she has to help more around the house, even though Ellie actually helps ten times more than Ben.
Ellie was just arguing with Ben because she helps more with baby Jack. But it wasn't helping the animals or making it rain.
All the weathermen had said that there were big storms coming but it was only small sprinkles of rain. Ellie, Ben and Jack’s Mum and Dad were thinking of selling the animals but the kids wouldn't let them.
The animals were Ellie’s life and she wanted to keep all of them.
Everyday her father Steve had to go on a three hour trip to Canberra, just to get some bottled water and even then it was yucky. Everyone was getting a bit emotional, especially her mum Jenny.
Her and her family were thinking about leaving and living with her Great Nanna in her house in Jerria, five hours away, ‘But what will we do with the animals’ Ellie thought?
Suddenly Ben saw red and orange flames in the tops of the tall trees. He ran inside and told Steve and Jenny (his parents) what was happening. Everyone grabbed a bag and put their clothes and other important stuff in it. They all rushed to the car and all the dogs jumped in. They were on the road driving through thick black smoke. It was starting to get windy and the car was wobbling from side to side. Baby Jack was confused. They were driving as fast as they could, west.
Ellie was scared, she had never had to leave her house because of the weather before. But Ben felt different; he had to evacuate when he was two so he wasn't concerned.
They drove and drove and drove and finally got to their Great Nanna's house in Jerria. The door was open and it was quiet. There was a note on the floor from Nanna saying she left to be safe from the fire and was staying somewhere else. So they stayed in the house for three days until the fire was out, then texted Nanna if she was alright, she was fine.
The news said that their house was completely burned, but when they went back to the farm it wasn't even touched by the fire. They were so happy even though they had to feed all the animals.
It was a false alarm.
The End

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!