Wandering

Excellence Award in the 'The Inside Story 2020' competition

The kind of darkness found underneath the skin and consuming the mind, was hard to compare to anything that was actually real. The ‘illness’ as people like to call it, occurred at random. You could be going through life happy and it would develop without notice or warning and then all of a sudden you were just a shell of what was once a human being, drifting in an ocean of people. In others, the ‘illness’ developed from childhood creeping and taking over your whole being, rotting it slowly, seething and boiling under the skin.
‘The illness’ broke people down to ghosts, dreaming of who they were before the iniquity had crawled under the skin and their mind had decayed. People often shrugged the ‘illness’ off as a sort of bad dream they once had which made it quite favourable to simply pretend the illness wasn’t there in the first place.
You were left to wander around your mind without a map, getting more and more lost as you walked further into the darkness. Some people got so lost in their minds that there was no hope of their return. Others eventually surfaced, however they were not who they once had been.
There was no cure, only pills one could take, but they only gave you worded directions as you wandered amidst the disarray of your mind.
Sometimes there were more than directions offered, a scribbled outline in the shape of a woman in a white coat with a clipboard barely visible at the edge of the black abyss. However, to get to the woman you had to have the courage to scream for help, even if you didn’t know who or what would hear it.

She could save you if you just said something.

But you didn’t because you were fine.

Weren’t you?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!