Fallen Ashes

I’ve never been to Illinois. I’m moving in with my second cousin that I didn’t know existed. I hope she’s nice.
As I’m driving I get a chill up my spine cold enough to freeze me to the core. I remember when I was little my mother used to tell me when you get a chill up your spine there’s a spirit passing through you. It freaked me out but now it reminds me of her smile, laugh, voice. I want to see her again. But she’s gone now and so is my father. I will be of Age soon to live in a house by myself. I don’t know how old this cousin is but if she’s old at least she’ll make good tea.
I finally came to the road where my house is. I look down at the paper in my hand for the address; 351 Archer street, Cherry Valley. This better be a good..
When I finally started seeing numbers closer to 351 my stomach had amazing butterflies. I came to 350 so I looked across the street to find a massive, probably once gorgeous house sized pile of ash and rubble. I got out of my car with a horrified look on my face. My butterflies have turned to crows pecking at me. This was the last place for me. The only place I had and now I have nothing. I walk up to the door; the only thing left standing. A tear rolls down my cheek. I notice something in the mail slot. It looks like parchment. Grabbing it from the slot was difficult with shaking hands.
I admired the wax stamp. The crest looked so familiar, I have no idea why. I open the envelope to find a letter in the same parchment. It read;

Dear Ash,
My dear I apologise that this is all we could leave for you; a pile of ruins. The cousin doesn’t exist.You are all there is of this family. When I was a child I ran around these halls barefoot and yelled “ can’t catch me” until someone started chasing me. I wanted that life for you. I wanted you to have the happiest life you could live but you made it here, you’re reading this letter then I suppose you aren’t a child anymore. You’d have been told that we were killed in a crash because that is what we wanted you to hear. But in truth the fire that perished this house perished us. I hope one day you will forgive me.
On another piece of paper here you will find blueprints to the house. The money is in a bank account we set up for you when you were born. The information for it is in here too. I want you to rebuild. halls, and all. if you find a spyglass do not throw it away. Keep it, it will be handy one day

With all the love I have, your mother.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!