Sage

Sage

“Bye, Daddy!”
“Love you, precious. I’ll be back before you know it.”

Just like last time and every other time before that. Mommy never comes to say goodbye anymore, so he climbs into the car in his smart suit and drives off. Mommy’s always gloomy, she’s like Grumpy from Snow White, always being posh and drinking the funny coloured water.

As soon as Daddy left, Mommy makes our favourite for the first time since the funeral; banana pancakes drizzled all over with maple syrup. She tells me I could have as many as I wanted today. She’s so happy now. After I finish eating, she walks over to me and tells me she loves me very much and will always be proud of me no matter what. She looks a bit sad but maybe I’m just being a silly goat. She tells me to go play upstairs with Sage and that there’s food in the fridge if we got hungry later.

...

I haven’t seen Mommy for a while and I’m hungry so I go to the fridge and grab the sandwich and go look for her. I can’t find her anywhere, she must be hiding in a really good spot. I’m about to give up when I see the light in the bathroom. Found you!

Oh... she’s on the floor. “Mommy… Mommy! Oh silly, you fell asleep on the bathroom floor. Wake up!”. She must have been really tired to be sleeping in the toilet. I’ll let her sleep for a while. Her skin feels as cold as ice-cream and she looks a bit pale, so I run upstairs to grab her blanket. I take the blanket and tuck it around her just like she used to do with me at bedtime being careful of her beautiful long blonde hair, just like Rapunzel’s. I tidy the bathroom and put away the pills that were spilled across the floor. She must have knocked them over and forgot to pick them back up.

...

It was getting dark by the time I finished the movie so I walked over to Mommy’s bedside table and pressed in Daddy’s number. Ring...ring ring. “Hello”, he answered! “Hi, Daddy”. “Hi precious... where’s Mommy?”. I told him she fell asleep on the bathroom floor and she was really cold so I put a blanket over her. He told me to go wake her up and put her on the phone and I told him that she must be really tired because she’s not waking up. He was talking too fast now, he’s worried. He told me he’d be back as soon as possible and not to go near Mommy. He told me to open the door if someone rings the doorbell, because they’re his friends who are going to help Mommy wake up.

...

There’s people around me now. Everyone frantic, comforting me, telling me everything is alright. But I think I know now... why she didn’t wake up.

She left me. Just like Sage did.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!