Never Getting Braces Again

The old wooden door creaked as I walked quietly into the classroom. Everyone stopped doing their work and laid eyes on my shiny new braces. “You have braces Bill,” sang out Miss M over the top of the class after finally noticing the shiny objects in my mouth. I slowly nodded my head. Class seemed to drag on forever after that until finally it was time for PE.

“Okay class!” yelled Mr Greg, our PE teacher, “We’ll be playing soccer today.” We ran like a herd of animals onto the green oval and got ready to play. Layla started with the ball. I was right behind her, ready if she needed to kick the ball to me, when suddenly, puffed she stopped in front of me and with a crash I ran into her long, straight hair.

“OUCH!” I screamed as I tried to pull her hair out from between my braces. But every time I tried I felt a jolt of pain. Everyone started giggling with laughter. This was the most humiliating time of my life. I walked to the office with Layla in front of me. She wasn’t impressed that I made her hair look like a bird’s nest. The office ladies were trying to hide their smiles but couldn’t resist laughing.

Five minutes later my Mum had come to pick Layla and I up. When I got into Mum’s car, away from all the little sticky beaks from my class who were now standing up against the old wire fence, I thought I’d never have the guts to go to school ever again. I’ll be home schooled for the rest of my life.

After a long awkward drive to the dentist, Mum finally pulled up in the car park. I walked into the crowded dentist to find everyone with a fixed stare on what they must have thought was hair growing out of my mouth.

The dentist called Layla and I straight in after seeing the ugly hairball between my braces. He cut Layla’s hair so it would be easier to get the thick, black hair out of my mouth. “Here you go,” said the dentist holding up the wet, gooey hairball laying in his big hand, “You have to be more careful next time Bill.”
“Yes,” I agreed as I grabbed the hair out of his hand. “Here’s your hair,” I said handing the wet, gooey hair back to Layla.
“It’s okay,” Layla said disgusted, “I don’t want it back.”

The next day, when I arrived at school after finally getting over the most humiliating time of my life, my class had to play Basketball. I had the ball ready to shoot the best goal ever when suddenly Aria ran in front of me and her long, blonde hair got stuck in between my braces. “No! Not again!” I yelled as I slowly, walked to the office dragging my feet miserably with Aria scowling as she walked in front of me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!