Believe Me

Excellence Award in the 'The Inside Story 2020' competition

It was a cold, winter night. The frosty wind was unbearable. All she could here was the frigid water, slowly turning to ice. She trembled, and struggled to walk without falling, was this the end? The girl’s memories went flying through her mind, and all she could here was the deathly silence, trapping her into every deep, dark thought possible. All of a sudden, the silence stopped. She heard a news report. But it was a particular part of the short television program, it spoke: “17 year old Lisa Kelah was found dead. Police say it was due to drowning, but many people disagree.”
The girl was still shaking, but in a much warmer room. She heard voices of “it’s ok” “It’ll be fine”. She walked around. All she could see was dirty, white walls, and ripped grey carpet. What was happening? She was lost. For hours, she sat on the floor. Scared, worried, words couldn’t describe how she felt. She quickly stood up with a sudden jolt. A shiver passed through her body. “Wait, I’ve never felt that before.” The girl thought to herself. And then she remembered, ‘When you feel a sudden shiver, someone stepped on your grave’. She had never believed in the ‘rumour’, but she started doubting her beliefs.
She grasped the tips of her hair, letting her hands slowly slide off of it. “A-am I d-dead? No! I can’t be! I don’t believe it!” She couldn’t stop the deadly thought from passing her mind.
The lights switched off, and she fell asleep instantly. She found herself back at home, in her comfy, warm bed. She had a sigh of relief, as she turned the television on. A Current Affair was on. She laid her head back onto her Yellow, baggy pillow, and started to hum ‘somebody that I used to know’. But the news caught her attention, and she instantly stopped humming. “17 year old Ruby Wyatt was found dead on Melaboo Street, house 342.” She threw herself out of bed and drove herself to the address.
The house was covered in ‘do not pass’ tape. She dashed through to the crime scene. She threw herself to the ground, sobbing. Someone tapped her on the shoulder. It was her best friend. “But- wh- you- you’re dead! Your body’s in front of me!” The girl stuttered. “That’s your mum, Taylor.” The best friend replied. “B-ut, my name isn’t Taylor, a-nd my mum’s at home!” She couldn’t talk.
Then she woke up, In the mental hospital. “I remember now”…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!