Far, Far Away

The first rays of the early morning sun peeked through the sides of the window, giving a holy sight like the mundane white curtains itself was glowing. Hana watched the light slowly descend to the back of the room with mild interest. It illuminated the colourful paper cranes that were hanging on the roof and for a strange reason- the translucent light made the small hospital room look unusually nostalgic.

Hana couldn’t sleep. throbbing pains in her head kept her awake, but that wasn’t the only thing bothering her.
She could tell that something wasn’t right, Hana may be incompetent, but she wasn’t ignorant. Hana’s parents, friends and family started to ask her constantly whether she had any dreams she wished to achieve, each question contained such a pitiful and intense aroma that it left Hana unsure on how to respond. Though her mother would never admit it, Hana knew what was installed for her in the future.

Hana reached towards her temple and messaged it in circular motion, The action did little to soothe the pain but she was reluctant to call a nurse. She frowned, did she have any worthwhile dreams? When Hana was younger she wanted to be a princess, mermaid, circus master, teacher, doctor and an athlete. But now all she desired was to leave this hospital and never come back again.

Hana sighed, all these thoughts about the future not only worsened her headache, but also caused her inside to tighten with dread. She needed something calming to do to pass the time, reaching at a small bedside table she grabbed a crinkly and old drawing book.

Hana smiled fondly, stroking the hard cover almost affectionately like it was her own child. She opened up to a new page and smoothed it out, drawing always soothed her when the headaches became unbearable. With a second-hand drawing book and her pencil, Hana drew her own little world.
A world far, far away.

A world made purely with her imagination, a world with no rules, no one to tell Hana what to do. No fears, no doubts and no worries about whether she would wake up the next morning. It was Hana's own little world, and it belonged to only her.

As Hana started sketching herself, her hope on living to see tomorrow. Her features couldn’t help but rearranged itself into a small smile.

One day, Hana would go far, far away.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!