Last Of The Past

I woke to the sunlight pouring through the cracked windows of my house. My throat felt parched. I walked outside and winced as my bare feet hit the flawed concrete, which felt as if a fire was being lit on it. Even so, I continued down the blazing path and reached the pond that I often drank from. It was a quarter full and looked as dry as a bone. The weather had not changed for weeks. Always bright and cloudless. I sat down and began drinking it, the water trickling down my throat, moisture coming back to it. I continued down the pathway and reached my usual tree that I ate my breakfast from. An apple tree, if you could call it that. The once glowing red apples, that when you bit down on, a satisfactory sweetness would fill your mouth were now shrivelled up dirty brick red apples, which when you bit into, the only thing that would fill your mouth was a sour, soggy taste. Nonetheless, I didn’t complain because it was hard to find better food than that, if you were the only living person/animal on earth. My kind went into extinction years ago. They were swept off the face of the earth along with all animals that had once roamed the earth, so the food I could have was scarce since I was the only person that could take care of all the plants which produced my food. I looked up to the tree and gave a brief look to see where the most edible looking apple was. None of the apples looked healthy enough to consume. Most had mould blotted across them. I looked down to see if I had any other options. Fortunately, there was an apple with what seemed like no mould. I gave it a quick brush with my hand and turned it around to brush off the dirt from the other side. I froze. I looked at the apple again to see if I was hallucinating from the heat. Pinching myself, I sat down on the ground, too dumbstruck by the bite in the apple to realise that my body was almost burning with agony from the hot ground. How could there be a bite in an apple? Every single apple I had ever eaten, I had brung back home and chucked it into a bag! I had never left an apple that I had eaten on the ground! An abrupt feeling of hope and curiosity filled my mind. The bite looked like it was from a human. Was there another human on the earth? The apple didn’t look too old so perhaps the person who had bitten it was nearby. I sprang up onto my feet and decided the direction which I would search first. I was going to find that person.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!