The Encounter

Myra stood upon the rocky ridge, her knees shaking. “Courage”, she thought, and then mechanically lifted her leg and placed her foot on the rickety bridge. The rotten slats creaked and gave slightly as Myra shifted her weight.
As she cautiously made her way down the bridge, the rotten wood appeared charcoaled, and a burnt smell made wafted up to Myra’s nose. Clinging on to the scratchy rope, Myra continued along the bridge, her breathing becoming short and fast. Her heart was beating wildly and wisps of hair clung to her delicate face. Eyes clouded with fear, she saw a glimpse of the other side.
Eyes on the horizon, her foot slipped into one of the many gaps between slats. The slat behind her snapped and hung dangerously in the air, before plunging down into the fog below. Yanking her foot out she continued, looking more carefully now. Suddenly, a gust of wind threatened Myra and she heard whispers. Look behind you, I am coming for you, you cannot escape me! Myra opened her mouth to gasp, but the wind stole her breath.
Whirling her head around Myra saw a dark figure at the start of the crossing. She watched in horror and awe as the figure started to walk towards her. It was almost like they were floating over the bridge! The shadowy creature opened its threatening mouth and blew harshly into the air. Almost like he was propelling evil into the world. Although Myra didn’t hear anything, she could feel his icy breath, tugging at her heart. Gasping, she turned away sharply and continued on her way. But every step she took the air around her became colder and colder.
Myra could hear the mystery figure’s whispers in the wind, and he made it harder and harder for Myra to endure. He sent snow and wind, to keep her from persisting. Myra’s breaths became visible and her eyelashes, glittered with snow. But she would not give up. When the glorious end came into sight, Myra’s eyes and heart were filled with hope. Myra was shocked to see the figure disappear, and suddenly the sun shone down.
Bright, golden rays lit up the old bridge. Myra slowly looked back, to see the figure gone. Instead, a dove was perched on the jagged, wooden slats. Myra turned the opposite way and realised who she had faced. Fear. At the end, she collapsed on the solid ground, but somehow feeling stronger than ever. She had conquered fear.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!