The Victor Kane Chronicles

The sharp and dry voice of the radio announcer blasted into the silent office room, where a lone figure in a suit smoking a cigarette sat staring out the window to the drab and grey city of New York. “Last night on the 28th of March 1928, the great Victor Kane, private-eye and master detective, assisted the police and took down the last high ranking member of the Mexican cartel that has been terrorizing the streets of our great city for the past three years. The leader, Mario ‘Triggerfinger’ Gomez, is now rotting in a cage instead of terrorizing the streets of our city.” The figure reaches over and turns off the radio, plunging the office into silence. Suddenly, the shrill ringing of the phone disrupts it.
“Yes?” He says gruffly.
“The mayor is here to see you.” Came the sweet reply of his receptionist.
“Send him in.” The door opened, and a short, stubby, overweight man with a receding hairline entered, escorted by a young man with dark hair. He stood and shook his hand. “Mr. Mayor.” The figure greeted in a neutral and emotionless voice.
“Mr. Kane.” The mayor replied. “I wish we were meeting under better circumstances,” He said face falling.
“What are the circumstances of your visit Mr. Mayor?” Victor asked, with a single raised eyebrow. The mayor looked at his escort and back to the detective. “James is my partner. James Archer, Mr. Mayor.”
“M-my daughter has been kidnapped,” came his heart-broken response, his lip quivering. “You don’t know who took her?” Victor asked, his curiosity piqued.
“No,” he said, choking. “They have left no note, no ransom, nothing. Do you have any ideas?” he asked hopefully.
“Possibly,” Victor replied stoically.
“Will you take the case?” He asked Victor hesitantly.
“How could I resist such an intriguing case?” He replied, smiling.
“You sure?” Whispered James.
Victor only nodded in response.
~
Victor dove deep into the investigation immediately. There were no eye-witnesses. His snitches told him that it wasn’t the cartel. Victor and James looked everywhere. The police had no evidence. Days stretched into months before Victor received a note with the kidnapper’s address on his desk. It led him to an old rickety warehouse. Both he and James walked in guns raised.
“Did you call it in?” Victor asked his partner.
“Yes, Detective Maldrez is on his way,” James responded. Victor cautiously looked around the big shipping container and saw Sarah. She was tied to a chair and there didn’t seem to be anyone around. He walked towards her and when no one appeared to stop him he reached to untie her. As she stood there was a loud bang. Victor looked down and saw blood gushing from his stomach. He turned and saw James standing there, his gun still smoking.
“Why?” was all Victor could say as he collapsed.
“You wouldn’t understand,” James replied. The last thing Victor saw before he blacked out was James and the mayor’s daughter embracing for a kiss.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!