Life Lessons

“Uncle bobby can you tell me more about dad” Bobby looked down and saw the chick staring up at him with hope in his eyes. He sighed and started his story,
“Let me impart some wisdom on you boy. Now when I first saw your father and he saw me he wasn’t scared or worried he just stood there and stared at me, so I went over and we had a jolly good talk. I told him about the farm and about the people who owned it. He listened so quietly but every time I turned to leave there was always something he wanted to know,” Bobby smiled. “Curious he was, very curious.”

“One of my favourite memories of your dad was when he was trying to learn to crow, every time he tried it sounded like a pig was dying,” Bobby chuckled. “Farmer John would run out all scared, worried about which of his prize pigs might be dying.” Bobby smiled and turned his head and looked at the sun. “I miss old times when your father and I would talk for hour upon hours until the sun would set; it was always his favourite part of the day. He was a prankster your father. I remember when I was chasing him, and he jumped through a hole in the fence and I thought I could fit. Farmer John was not impressed.” Bobby smiled and laughed again he had remembered something. “One of his worst pranks was when he made me run through cow dung, he knew I hated baths but as soon as Mrs John saw me, I was in the tub.” Bobby’s smile faded he looked at the sun which was almost at the horizon.

“Your dad wasn’t only a prankster he was very brave, the bravest thing he did was protect the chickens from a fox. He started crowing like mad. It was still dark, but I knew something was wrong and I ran outside to your dad. He had put up a good fight flapping his wings pecking at the fox. I chased the fox away. Now your father had some rough times the worst was when his mum was taken. He got over it I told him that he can’t let one bad thing ruin his life and he listened,” Bobby looked at the sun it was half gone and the sky was a golden, blue colour.

“Now the reason I told you all this, is because I want you to know that you choose what happens in your life. Your father was a great example of that. He chose to be happy not sad. He chose bravery over fear” Bobby stood up slowly so did the chick. “I have been the farm dog here for a long time I have seen many roosters come and go, but your father was certainly the greatest.” And he, with the boy chick at his side walked off into the sunset.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!