Blowing In The Wind

“Grandma is very sick. I’m sorry Rey but she hasn’t got long left with us. She is very frail and she can’t function as she used to. I’m sorry,” his mother Clara exclaimed as Rey’s father Troy comforted him. Rey’s eyes teared up hearing this news and he held Clara and Troy tight….fists clenched, and his heart broken. His grandma was his rock and it was finally time for goodbye. He said his last words to her and gave her a last warm hug before walking out to let her rest. As he walked out of the room, he saw a letter lying on the bench beside the door. It read ‘Rey, read when alone’. He tucked it in his pocket and left the room. Grandma passed peacefully in her sleep.

The family arrived home with heavy emotions, but Rey was just anxious to read the letter. He raced up the stairs and closed his bedroom door. He sat upon the windowsill with the air bringing freshness to the room. He opened the letter, intrigued, but a gust of wind lifted the letter from his hands and down to the front yard. He swiftly ran from the bedroom, down the stairs and out the door, ignoring his parents questions.


The paper began to blow in the wind, up and down, across the street. Rey jumped on his push bike and sped off after it. The note passed the local restaurant ‘Alexandros Pizzeria’ where Grandma and he used to go. The one table they would always sit at was taken, and the aroma of pasta filled the air which made him drop his head.

Next gust, the paper took him past the old bowls club. He could see the ladies who would play with he and his Grandma. The bowls club was one of his favourite places to hang with Gran. This is where he first learnt to play Bocce. A tear ran down his cheek as he waved to the ladies, but they didn’t see him through the tinted glass, which also upset him.

Finally, the paper hit a light post on the sidewalk and Rey grasped it before it soared away again. He could hear the song ‘Stand by me’ playing through a car radio across the street. He and his grandma use to watch this movie every time he visited her.






He rode the letter back home, closed the window and read the note aloud to himself. “Dear Rey, I know I haven’t got much time left to spend with you, but I will always remember our times together, like watching ‘Stand by me’ and going to the bowls club together. You will always be with me and I will always be with you. I love you Rey. - Grandma” Rey’s eyes teared up. He stared out the window, lifted his head, and saw the twinkle of a star from the sky. “She’s always with me, Blowing in the wind.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!