My Refuge Story

My name is Katie, when I was eleven years old I had a terrible experience in my life. One day I came home from school my mum said: “Katie, tomorrow will be your last day to school because a war has been declared in our country.” “Are we leaving this country?” I asked mum. “Maybe…” cried, mum. I don’t want to leave the great life I’m having in Hungary I was worried about it all night and I didn’t sleep at all. I was late for school the next day. At recess, I played with my friends maybe I might not see them again.

The next day the whole family woke up early ad we were hiding behind the sofa, I joined them and I twisted my ankle. There was no time to go to the hospital. There was pin-drop silence, no one moved. All I could hear was screaming, bomb blast and gunshots. Then my dad realized there was no one in the back of the house. So we all rushed through the backdoor, we crouched down beside the fence because the other side of the fence there was more fighting happening. To make the situation worse, my little sister left her teddy bear, she had it on ten minutes later when she was born. She cried so loud that one of the Hungarian fighters who was standing in the corner quickly ran through our house front door and grabbed the teddy bear and tossed it to us, but Soviet Union fighter saw that and shot that person so we rushed back into the house like a stampede of animals. We went into the kitchen and crouched down. I peeked through the window and saw people being shot to death. Unfortunately, I saw my grandpa being shot and I told that to mum she busted to tears. Then I came to know how bad it would be to see a family member dying in front of their eyes. It was very painful. Everyone in my family cried. “We have to safe our lives, the Soviet Union fighters might shoot us” whispered my dad. It’s was night time, we turned off the light because of the Soviet Union people are going to chase us with helicopters, so lights were all turned off and it was pitch dark. Next morning, my uncle who is a sailor rescued us through our backdoor. That was the day last I saw my house, my toys and our beautiful garden. Finally, we got into the boat.

We travelled in the boat for more than a month. Our uncle had gallons of food. We travelled to Australia, everything was in good shape. That’s my refuge story.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!