My Legend

He died a long time ago.
He didn’t strike me to be the man I thought he was. Always limited to that squeaky derelict grey leather chair. Legend has it that the wrinkly chair has been passed down for four generations now seemingly leeching off the lifeline of the individual that it ensnares. Creak! Creak! We all knew when he came and left, it was as if we had cultivated a sixth sense over these crippling five years. Parents would draw their children close as they mask their coarse hands over the delicate little ears. The piercing squeaks drew glares from every corner as heads bowed in synchrony with every push. A musty, greasy odour permeated the air suffocating helpless victims a Mexican wave of gags trailed with the scent. The world was at his fingertips yet at the same time unreachable. Everywhere he went, a shadow followed him. Pushing and pushing, it never ended. He was living a life sentence in Alcatraz, no borders where freedom awaits yet helpless.
But he wasn’t always like this.
***
“Did you know that your Pops travelled the four corners of the world as he battled the dark forces clouding the world?” My Father reminisced with great enthusiasm as he opened a large brown crinkled scrapbook with black and white pictures stamped across it.
My eyes would fill with wonder as my pupils dilated with every new and exotic tale. Squirming around on the rough blue carpet as I got myself comfortable with my head rested on my palms, I shouted in amazement “Really Pa? Did Pops really do all of that?”
“Of course, Richie! Just last week Pops visited the tribe of Waikiki to check up on an old friend. In fact, he was the very first outsider to ever to every step foot on the green plains.” My Father vibrantly replied. This was one of my favourite tales as to my amazement he forged a lifetime bond despite the language barrier.
The grey English cottage would radiate magic as I would stare into the hearth as it flickered to life. The warm cozy atmosphere transported me into another realm with a blink of an eye.
***
One day, the creaking stopped. Children were able to once again frolic with laughter and parents carried on slaved to their phones. There were no more glares. It felt like a normal regular day but not for our household. The candles were lighted for the last time as mourning countenances scattered across the room. People far and wide across the continents knocked at the front door as they all brought little photograph. They carefully placed it on the table one by one. My father reached his hand inside a black sack as he grabbed out a silver stethoscope and slowly rested on pops chest.
Maybe he can once again walk and be free.

By: Jason Lim Year 12

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!