My Dearest Eliza

Eliza Lesberg PVT John Jillard 18862 05/08/1915 05/08/1915
16 Corse Rd, 2nd Light Horse Brigade
Roleystone Gallipoli
Western Australia, Australia


My dearest Eliza, I fear that this might be the last time I write to you. The British commanders have come up with a plan to break the tie; a dangerous and unorganised plan. My battalion is being moved to a place known as The Nek; a dangerous trench, close to the front lines. Still, we are attacking during the day with no cover. A blasted idea if you ask me, but I have no say in the matter. Regardless, the morale of my mates seems high. They are confident in the plan. I do trust their instinct. In spite of the name of my brigade, we have no horses to charge the trenches. I guess I shall have to ride on Jared’s back into battle. That reminds me, Jared has wished us the best for your pregnancy. The letter you wrote me last week made my day and filled my heart with joy. I cannot wait to meet our child when I come back home. I also heard that Bruce from the orchards enlisted. I cannot wait to see him again. It feels like it has been a million years since I've seen anyone from town. It'll be good to have a familiar face around, although, I don't think his mother will be too happy about his decision, but what can she do? A young man's got to have adventure in his life. Let's stop talking about war. How are your parents? How's the dog? The bakery? Has much changed in town? I want to know all about it after the push. I just know that whatever you have to say will make life here easier, no matter what it is about. Thank you so much for the hand knitted socks. The winter here was brutal and they will make things much easier to endure next time, if we haven't won by then. If the push doesn't scare them back to Constantinople, I'm certain my trusty stead Jared will.
Alas, I have to go. My brigade is beginning its transfer, therefore I must cut this letter short. I hope this letter reaches you soon and I cannot wait to read your next letter.

Forever yours.

John Jillard

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!