"The Thing"

All I recall was a loud bang, echoing through the sky, shaking the ground, and bringing fear to the minds. For those who knew, were following behind their screens, we're too busy to think for themselves and the prepared, survived. I didn’t witness it nor I prepared for it, I was late.

When I woke up, my head was bleeding. My back irritated from the ground as I was dragged. All I could hear was a piercing sound ringing in my ear. Figures in hoodies dragged me faster and faster. Something was wrong. When I looked up, there were trees everywhere, and things that looked like grey mannequins clipped on.
Then they stopped. I looked up from where I lay; they were trying to lift a tree. It was the most ridiculous thing I had ever seen! After physical proof that these people were dumber than a caveman, a metal latch popped up. One of the hooded figures turned towards me and gripped my shoe. Was I being kidnapped? What was happening?
I kicked the person in the face and scurried up, running in the direction I thought I came from. My legs were aching, I turned back to see if I lost them. They were still trailing behind. I was running faster with each leap.
There I had entered an open valley, nothing but pastures.

I slowed down catching my breath, and sat down, staring at the end of the valley. As I did this, the sun was rising, it was so beautiful. But there was something quite off. There was a man-like shape, standing like a statue, only it was moving closer. I gazed at the peculiar site... it was like it was coming straight towards me. I stood up and started running up the valley. My eyes did not leave “the thing” coming towards me. Its skin was a slimy white, its head curled at the top, and it had 2 slits for a nose. It was bigger than me and its finger was like talons, long and bony. Its limbs poked out like broken bones!
When I reached the top “the thing” was halfway up. It was grunting with tar-black gums and disarranged razor-sharp teeth. I headed straight to the tree the 2 people were at and climbed up. It went straight passed me.
I waited 5 mins; the race for survival was over. I hoped down and started pulling the tree and then …pop! The lever emerged. I opened the door.
“Hello,” I croaked. A human came out of the shadow, it was a girl.
“Who are you?” She asked and then she looked out, head first.
Then all of a sudden, something dragged her out!
“Shut the door!” A voice ordered.
“It’s stuck!” There was a large stick in the way. I pulled it out but something was trying to open it. Other people came out to try and help. Then door slammed and a white arm fell out. A large shriek echoed.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!