Open Window, Broken Soul

I will never forget that dreadful morning. My heart felt as if a pack of wolves had ripped it to shreds like there was no tomorrow. My burning tears ran down my cheeks and fell onto the carpet below me. A rush of hatred ran through my blood. I should never have left my little sister alone that night. It was my fault and I hated myself.

My parents had gone into town for the evening. As a naive 16 year old, I obviously wanted to sneak out to a party of my own, but of course, I had to babysit my sister. At the time, it seemed so unfair, but I realise now that my sister’s safety is, well… was, more important than a stupid high school party.

I stare blankly at Nikki’s bed. Empty and messy. Her abductor must have known I would leave her alone. How was I so stupid? All I have is myself to blame, and that is the truth.

It was few days later that the phone call came. The detective’s voice was shaking as he said, “We have found your sister but… I’m sorry, she’s dead.”

I gasped at hearing those words ringing in my head. I fell to my knees, praying that is was not real. No one, including myself, would ever be able to forgive my selfishness. All for what? To impress some guy at a party who probably didn’t even care I existed? Everything has lost meaning now. Even my friends, my education. All that is on my mind is Nikki’s murder.

My mind is blank and I have not left my room in what feels like months. I would not be surprised if it has actually been this long. All I see in front of me is a blank, white wall. Nothing can make me smile anymore. Why should I deserve to? I was supposed to protect my sister and I didn’t. All I ever wanted was for Nikki to be happy and see her grow up and succeed in life. All I want now is to go back in time and change what I did.

It has been three dreadful months since my parents brought me to this strange hospital to ‘fix’ my broken soul and heart. I have not eaten or drunk anything since then. I stare at the wall as I take my last breath. I simply cannot continue to exist.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!