They?

“Happy birthday” Violet’s friends sang through the computer. It had been 10 years now since the outbreak of the horrid covid19 virus that still has the country in lock down all these years later.

Instead of thanking her friends for a happy birthday she simply gave them a weak smile and typed goodbye into the chat bar. This may seem incredibly rude to most people; however, Violet’s friends aren’t most people.

You must understand that Violet is a girl of few words, in fact she is a girl of no words. She had been silent for 10 straight years. That is until one night.

It was 11.30 at night and violet was STILL awake. She couldn't sleep, she never could on her birthday. It was strange, she was sleepy but couldn't sleep. Her eyes were drooping but didn't shut. Reluctantly she trudged down the hallway to her older sister Cleo’s room to see if she could borrow her MP3 player and listen to calm music to see if it would help her sleep.

When she got to Cleo’s room, she gently knocked on the door. Instead of the usual frustrated and sleepy response of “just come in and get my player, next time DON’T WAKE ME UP AT RIDICULOUS O’CLOCK” there was just silence. Like any curious kid she went to investigate. However, this time, unlike every other she found that Cleo was not in her room, so she went into the main part of the house to investigate further.

When Violet got down the stairs and into the living room, she did not only find Cleo but her entire family, at least the people in her house. There was her mum, dad, 2 dogs and even her grandparents were on a skype meeting. The strangest thing about it all was not that they were all still awake or seeing her grandparents trying to use a phone, or even the disgusting fact that their biggest dog (Nader) was so delighted to see someone else for the first time in ages that she was enthusiastically licking the phone. It was the fact that Cleo was crying. Cleo NEVER cried. She didn't cry when she fell of her bike, got bullied or even when she broke her leg, but she was crying now for a reason that Violet did not know but desperately wanted to. As she was walking over, she couldn't help but overhear her mum reassuring Cleo “it will be fine they are doing everything they can I'm positive you will graduate. “

One word hit Violet like a bullet. Violet prepared herself for what she was about to do next. She took a deep breath in and spoke...

“Who is they”?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!