Volcano In Antarctica

The bitter taste of salt water flooded his mouth as the boat travelled across the relentless ocean, everyone above deck and struggling to control the flailing sails. Howling winds bit his frozen cheeks and the reckless waves tossed the ship around like a toy. Suddenly, everything seemed to happen in slow motion. The ship being thrown right into the path of an iceberg, splinters of wood flying above their heads as it crashed, and eventually the wave of darkness that told them they were unconscious and underwater.

When they recovered from their comas, everyone was groaning, nursing wounds and recovering food and fresh water from the shipwreck. Antonio rubbed his frost bitten face with his shaking gloved hands, determined to give them even the slightest touch of warmth and feeling. His breath came and went in parched gasps for oxygen, as there wasn’t much down here in Antarctica. Using all the strength they could muster, they lumbered up the frigorific hill to find the problem that had sent them on this journey, the volcano in the frozen wasteland.

This was a issue that could end all life on Earth as we know it. This is because if the volcano erupted, it would wipe out every single inch of ice on the continent. If this apocalyptic event happened, the ocean would rise astronomically high, drowning whole countries and continents. The stable ecosystem would crash and result in many important species of animals going extinct. This could mean that we would not have any food, resulting in starvation. In short, they needed to stop it at all costs.

Being a benevolent person, Antonio helped the weaker people up the slope and onto the base of the volcano, ash pouring from the crater and a toasty warmth emitting from the magma chambers on the inside. The leader of the expedition, Mr Snibilly, brought out a needle the size of a rifle with blue, phosphorescent liquid on the inside. This needle is the weapon that would save mankind.

Without warning, the volcano gave a loud rumble, like it was hungry. Just seconds remained before this destruction device erupted. Rivers of molten rock slid like snakes down the surface of the volcano as everyone started panicking. Like a true hero, Mr Snibilly plunged the needle deep into the volcano’s heart, and pushed the syringe.

It was like a balloon deflating. The magma was sucked back up into the crater, which caved in and filled the gaping hole with land. The next five minutes were full of cheering and whooping, because the people of Earth and of course, Earth itself, was saved. Being in Antarctica, the remains of the deformed volcano froze over immediately, while the expedition crew began working on fixing the boat in high spirits.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!