Home Alone

I charged into battle, wielding my last weapon. There were only a few of us left. The enemy was overpowering us. Out of nowhere, I was hit…
The school bell rang and my class froze in the middle of our dodgeball game as we waited to be dismissed. Children poured out of classrooms and down the corridors. It was finally school holidays.
I sprinted out of the school gates and towards my house. I lived with my mum. Just me and her. She was so overprotective of me, I didn’t know why but I didn’t mind either. My home wasn’t much but it’s just down the road from school and was cheap.
In fact, it’s more of a shack than a house, with broken windows and cracks in every corner. When I first moved in there my mum and I managed to fit a microwave in and get the oven working. We had to share a bedroom since the other one is infested with rats and spiders and has a deadly python that likes to visit. Our bathroom has a stained bathtub, a broken toilet and a sink with dirty water.
My mum wasn’t home yet so I put away my school bag and did my chores, then waited for her on the shredded sofa by the door. Two hours I sat there. And still no one. I thought she must be held up at the shops but then I waited another hour, and when no one came I began to worry.
My mum had a phone, but she never used it and it was broken. I didn’t care, I needed to try. I hurried over to the home phone on the kitchen table. The next few moments went past quickly. Before I knew what I was doing, the old phone was up to my ear and I had dialled my mum’s number. The slow and steady ring of the phone in my hand sounded like a melancholy baby bird chirping for its parents.
There was some static then a muffled voice of a man boomed through the speaker, ‘They’re coming, Sara. They’re coming for her. She is not just your daughter, I need to protect her too.’ There was something familiar about that man’s voice, like I had heard it before long ago, however I couldn’t dwell on it too long because the man spoke again, ‘India needs to hide. She needs to come to my home, were I live. She needs to find out what she is and get away from where they could take her.’
Then I heard my mother, ‘She belongs with our kind. How do think my daughter would feel about leaving her only home-’ I didn’t catch the rest of the sentence because just then someone banged hard on the door and I swung around. My heart was pounding against my chest as I tiptoed to the window and peered out. When I saw what was there I knew I had to get away.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!