The Adventure

The Catacombs

It made my blood turn cold I felt afraid of my own shadow. The lifeless trees seemed to snicker at our insignificant expressions. The flakey snow tickled our necks. Suddenly, Julie made a sudden halt making everyone topple on top of her “Hey! Personal space!” and “we need to and maintain social distance” admonished Julie.

I suddenly realised why Julie had stopped, there was a feeble light glowing at the bottom of what appears to be a cave with steps to climb down. When I gawked at the light it had a familiar look. As we came closer to the light, I could see that the light had a faint outline of a hole dug in the ground which made the living daylight out of all of us. It was something I wished I would never see, yes, an underground graveyard, in the middle of nowhere. We milled around looking around all of sudden I stepped on something then CRACK! We all knew that I might have stepped in something that made me jump out of my skin. It smelt like burnt old churches there were skeletons heads that had been bitten. I noticed carving of what to me looked like a bunch of cravings but deep down I knew it meant something I quickly snapped a pic and joined the others. Suddenly, without any of us noticing rocks collapsed into the entrance and we were trapped inside the grave. Though we could see a gap enough for a person climb out, the steps remained completely blocked with rocks. “Are we going to die?” Melinda cried. “We weren’t going to die, ” I sighed. Though deep down I wasn’t quite convinced.

“Do you have anything in your backpack that can help get us out of here Ava?” asked Melinda. “I have a rope, a hook, food and a water bottle,” replied Ava. Then it hit me that we could throw the hook attached to the rope and hopefully we could get the hook anchored into the cracks of the rock. I explained this to the fellow girls and they looked at each other unconvincingly. Ava insisted that she would do it. Shockingly Ava completed the task with ease. At last, we all managed to climb out of this place.

“Phewww!” sighed Julie. “The smell of whatever that was is going to make me shower for a decade!” We all giggled this had been an adventure.

Later that week the newspaper read.
“Local girls who were in an adventure in the bush discovered old catacomb,”
The End

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!